IVDD Vet Questions Prcd
Questions for the Veterinary Neurosurgeon or Orthopedist
Not every dachshund with a back or neck issue needs a neurosurgeon, but more often than not, this becomes the path for many doxies exhibiting the symptoms of disc disease. Your journey to this specialist may begin with your general care veterinarian or may result from a trip to the veterinary emergency room. Either way, ask questions and stay involved in your doxies' medical care.
Questions About the Procedure
It is important to know what will be happening to your doxie while in the care of the veterinary surgeon. Asking questions about the procedure is important in evaluating the hospital and the care your doxie will receive. It is common to feel overwhelmed when going through this process; the questions below should help to alleviate some of that stress. Additionally, you may have other questions; ask them ALL.
Here are the questions DRBC most commonly asks:
- What tests will be performed in preparation for this surgery?
- What are the possible outcomes if this surgery is not performed?
- Are there nonsurgical treatments that could help?
- Ask your surgeon for a simplified explanation of the type of operation, technique used, and reasons it should be performed. [Pictures and drawings can help.]
- What kind of anesthesia is required for the procedure? Is it safe?
- Why was this specific procedure chosen over possible alternatives?
- What will/might happen if the operation is not done?
- If the operation is not done at this time, can it be done later?
- What are the consequences if the procedure is postponed or delayed?
- Is the nursing staff accustomed to caring for patients who have had this procedure?
- What is the anticipated outcome of the procedure?
- What are the problems, complications, or conditions that are the risks of the procedure?
How common are these complications and potential adverse events?
If complications occur, how can they be treated?
- How long is a typical hospital stay?
[Animals should stay 3-5 days minimum]
- What is the recovery process after this procedure?
- What is the success rate for this treatment or procedure?
[This is different than the surgeon's success rate]
- What is the anticipated outcome for my dog and why?
- What equipment is required to perform this procedure, how old is it and is it available?
- What follow-up care is expected?
- What is the cost? Is this inclusive of all expenses?
NOTE: This section of the DRBC website is offered as a medical reference only. DRBC is not operated by veterinarians. Seek the attention of your veterinarian to obtain a complete understanding for any of the topics listed.