Note: Being overweight does not count in any category!
- Dachshunds come in four basic sizes:
- Mini (up to 12 pounds),
- Tweenie (12 to 20 pounds)
- Standard (20 to 28 pounds)
- Teckle (28+ pounds)
- Coats are short hair, long hair or wire hair.
- Coat colors range from red to black & tan to brindle to dapple.
- Most of our dogs are healthy but some do have medical problems. These problems are fully disclosed prior to an adoption.
- The Dachshund Breed is loyal, loving and intelligent. They are curious and protective. They love to be cuddled and have a desire to please their owners. In return, they ask for love from their owners and a warm and comfortable home.
- Initially, because some of our dogs have suffered abandonment or some emotional trauma, they do require patience, love and guidance to fit into your world.
- Many of our “rescues” come from owner turn-ins for reasons such as a family divorce, death of owner, a move to an apartment, or an owner no longer able to care for their Dachshund. Others are from animal shelters or strays who have been found wandering.
- All of our dogs receive a physical examination by our veterinarian, who specializes in the Dachshund breed. Each dog is spayed/neutered, vaccinated, dental checked, heartworm tested and started on heartworm preventative. He/She is then released to “foster care” where the dog lives with a family and is evaluated for temperament, ability to get along with other dogs, children, etc.
- DRBC attempts to get as much information as possible on the Dachshund turn-in. This allows the rescue to better evaluate each dog in an attempt to find the “best” fit for the dog and a new family.